Want to know the secret to a well-manicured yard? Trimmer line! Believe it or not, trimmer line plays a big role in how well and how easily you can get outdoor areas looking groomed and keeping them that way.
It is tempting to think that all trimmer lines are the same, but nothing could be further from the truth. The best trimmer line for one area of your landscape is most likely not the right choice for another section.
We’ll walk you through trimmer line differences and similarities as we highlight some qualities to look for as you shop. Plus, we’ve gone in search of the top 10 trimmer lines and given you an in-depth review of the best three.
Buying Trimmer Line? Here Are a Few Pre-Purchase Considerations
How cost effective your trimmer line turns out to be will depend heavily on how quickly it wears and how often you have to purchase more. A factor affecting trimmer line wear and tear is the material it is made from.
The most commonly used materials are nylon and titanium.
- Nylon. The vast majority of trimmer lines are made from hardened nylon. This synthetic material performs well in all trimming situations and rarely disappoints when you step back to look at the results of your efforts. Nylon lines are also cheaper – an added benefit if you are looking for a good bargain!
- Titanium. Having come onto the trimmer line scene in more recent years, titanium trimmer line has shown great promise regarding It exceeds nylon in many areas, being more energy efficient and durable. Titanium lines allow you to work faster, completing jobs in much less time. While you will have to spend more for lines made of titanium, the cost-over-time is greatly reduced.
Top 10 Trimmer Lines Chart
What’s Good to Know When Shopping for Trimmer Line?
Trimmer line comes in varying diameters to match the type of work it is required to do.
- 065 to 0.080 Inches. Use for light work such as on residential lawns with thin weeds.
- 085 to 0.105. Best for medium work as you would do on large lawns with heavy weeds.
- 110 Inches or Greater. For heavy work in wide open spaces which possibly contain heavy weeds and require plenty of trimming.
Trimmer line also comes in varying cross-sections (the shape you see when you look straight on at the tip of the line).
- Round. This standard, basic shape is wear resistant and a staple for light work such as trimming edges on residential property.
- Square. Good for repeated professional use on heavy weeds.
- Multi-Sided. Thick, heavy weeds and large yards call for trimmer line with this shape.
- Twisted. This heavy-duty and efficient trimmer line keeps your trimmer noise level low.
- Serrated. Quick and clean – that’s how this line works on large areas of heavy, thick grass and weeds.
NOTE: The owner’s manual will point out the best diameter and shape of the trimmer line to use with your trimmer.
Top 3 Best Trimmer Line Reviews
The Oregon 22-895 Gatorline is designed to be a real workhorse! It’s no wonder it takes the number one spot for best trimmer line. This square shaped line is reinforced with aramid fibers which make it stronger and more heat resistant.
The outer layer of the Oregon 22-895 Gatorline is made to be impact resistant and so should not show signs of welding. You can therefore freely use it on hard surfaces, such as stones, and its integrity will not be compromised. The inner core of this trimmer line resists breaking, with the overall effect being that your Oregon 22-895 Gatorline will perform at the highest level and last longer than most others you could buy.
Reviews show that customers who purchased the Oregon 22-895 Gatorline, consistently rate it as good value for money. They also generally express complete satisfaction with its durability and level of performance.
The confidence many consumers feel in the DEWALT brand can be extended to include its line of trimmer string. Chief among them is the DEWALT DWO1DT802 String Trimmer Line.
It is constructed of high-quality materials which are meant to be flexible while remaining resistant to damage from impact with hard surfaces. The aerodynamic design of the DEWALT DWO1DT802 String Trimmer Line means you can expect it work efficiently, helping you to complete jobs with little to no hassle.
With a diameter of 0.080 inches, you can rest assured it will handle light to medium jobs around your property. Its durability gets high praise from customers, so this 225-foot supply should last you quite a while.
True to its name, the spiral or twisted shape of the LoNoiz Grass Trimmer Line allows you to work with decreased noise. That, and its superior strength make it ideal for use in commercial areas by professionals.
At 0.130 inches in diameter, the LoNoiz Grass Trimmer Line will take on your toughest jobs with great results; this is attested to by the many customer reviews that highlight how well it performs against the hardiest of vegetation.
If you like this version of the LoNoiz Grass Trimmer Line, you can easily find others by using the manufacturer’s color coding system to identify the right diameter trimmer line for your needs.