Poison ivy can quickly turn a pleasant shaded garden into a nightmare. This plant is highly allergenic, causing itchy blistering rashes. It is not a plant you want in your yard or garden. Unfortunately, poison ivy isn’t always easy to get rid of. We are here to help you find the best poison ivy killer.
There are a lot of chemical poison ivy killers available through garden supply stores and websites. It can difficult to know which ones work and which are just a waste of time and money. That’s why we’ve compiled this handy one-stop guide to the best poison ivy killers on the market.
We’ve taken the guesswork out of your gardening so you can attack that pesky plant head on and get back to enjoying your yard.
We are a professional reader-supported review site. You get our best product recommendations and we can receive small commissions from our affiliates at no cost to you. Win-Win!!
Getting rid of poison ivy is not an easy task, but it can be done with the right weed killer and some basic knowledge.
Non-Chemical Poison Ivy Control
While it is possible to rid your yard of poison ivy without the use of chemical herbicide, organic methods take copious amounts of time and effort. The most difficult part of eliminating poison ivy is that the whole plant must be destroyed. Without the use of toxic chemicals, you will have to use a lot of elbow grease to pull the plant out of the ground, roots and all. However, even with the most careful weeding, it is still possible to miss some underground parts of the plant. If even the tiniest bit remains, the plant will sprout new growth and need to be pulled again.
Chemical Poison Ivy Control
Chemical herbicides work much faster and with less personal effort. The drawback is that many of these chemicals kill desirable plants as well as poison ivy. Some of them are also toxic to humans, so careful handling is necessary. You will want to wear long sleeves as well as protective gloves and be certain to launder clothing separately from the regular family wash.
Herbicides that contain glyphosate, triclopyr, or a three-way herbicide that contains 2,4-D amine, dicamba, and mecoprop work best on eliminating poison ivy and inhibiting regrowth. The optimal time for application of these pesticides is in late spring and early summer as the poison ivy plants are in their active growth phase.
Be prepared to repeat the application if necessary. Even the most powerful herbicide won’t be able to reach all the roots. Depending on weather and outside temperature, it may take several days or even weeks to see if your removal efforts have been successful. If you see any new growth, respray. Repeated application on new growth will eventually cause this stubborn plant to die back completely.
Top 3 Best Poison Ivy Killer Reviews
This is a broad-spectrum, non-selective herbicide. Incredibly effective on poison ivy, this herbicide also kills any vegetation it encounters, so you will want to exercise strict caution during application. You won’t want any excess spray to drift onto your lawn, shrubs, or trees. However, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a chemical herbicide that works better or faster on poison ivy.
- Bonide # 274 8 ounce, concentrated, vine & stump Killer
- Kills vines & stumps without harming desirable plants
- Keeps stumps from re-sprouting after cutting, effective & Economical
- Brush-top applicator makes applying easy & accurate
- This product cannot be sold or shipped into the state of Vermont
*Price from: 2021-04-09 at 16:36 EST
As a concentrate, you’ll see results in as little as two hours. The chemical herbicide enters the plant through the leaves and then works down into the roots, killing poison ivy where it is most vulnerable. The package comes with a handy brush applicator so you can really target the poison ivy.
The fast effectiveness of this product will make you smile, and when paired with the affordable cost, you’ll have to agree that this is the best poison ivy killer on the market. Just be careful when using around the plants you want to keep. ✔️ Let's get it NOW!
Specially formulated to target poison ivy and poison oak, BONIDE Poison Ivy and Oak Killer is fast and effective, but won’t harm your lawn. It is even safe to use on poison ivy growing amongst other ornamental plants including English ivy.
- WEED KILLER - Controls poison ivy and poison oak along with a wide range of other broadleaf lawn weeds. This includes dandelion, thistle, clover, ground ivy, ragweed, creeping charlie, chicory, stinging nettle and many more.
- WON'T WASH AWAY - Poison Oak and Ivy Killer is rainproof within hours. For best results, spray with enough time for it to completely dry before it rains. Will not wash off after it has dried.
- SAFE FOR GRASS - Designed to kill a variety of weeds, not lawn grasses. When used as directed it kills broadleaf weeds in lawns, roots and all.
- STARTS WORKING OVERNIGHT - Effects begin to show after a few days and the weeds will gradually die. Up to 4 weeks may be required for complete kill.
- READY TO USE - This product is conveniently ready to use when it arrives. No mixing or pouring required. The spray nozzle makes this product easy to deploy.
*Price from: 2021-04-09 at 16:36 EST
With this product, weeds die gradually, but you’ll begin to see results in just a few days. It could take up to 4 weeks to completely kill poison ivy. Don’t be put off by the bright bluish-green color or pungent smell, this stuff really works. It also comes in a convenient clog-resistant spray bottle for easy application. It doesn’t get much easier than this. Just remember to wear protective gloves. You don’t want this poison ivy killer on your skin.
The primary active ingredient is Trimec a selective herbicide that will not damage your lawn. It is absorbed through the leaves of the ivy and then distributed throughout the plant. Once the product is dry, it should be rain safe. ✔️ I'm sold!
Specially formulated to penetrate the tough waxy leaves of hard-to-kill plants like poison ivy, this Roundup product kills plants all the way down to the roots. It won’t take long to know that it’s working. You’ll see the proof in less than 24 hours.
- Roundup Concentrate Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush Killer combines the power of two tough brush killing ingredients to kill even the toughest weeds and grasses
- Kills weeds to the root. Guaranteed! (Consumer Guarantee: If for any reason you are not satisfied after using this product, simply send us original proof of purchase and we will refund the purchase price.)
- Rainproof in 30 minutes
- Visible results in 24 hours
- It also kills ivies and weeds like poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac, as well as invasive vines and shrubs like kudzu and wild blackberry
*Price from: 2021-04-09 at 16:36 EST
It comes concentrated, so you will have to mix it in water before application, but you’ll have ample product for treating or retreating large areas. It also works on other invasive vines like poison oak, poison sumac, wild blackberry, and kudzu.
Also, if you have a tough weed or plant that you have cut to a stump, you can use this product undiluted to completely kill it off. Please read the label carefully.
Roundup stands behind this product. They offer a money-back consumer guarantee. If you aren’t completely satisfied, just send them proof of purchase, and they will refund your money. You won’t need the consumer guarantee, though. This product tears through poison ivy and kills it dead as a rock. ✔️ Yes! I want it!