Whether you have a sprawling garden or just a few rows, you probably need a garden sprayer. Garden sprayers are essential for applying weed killer, pest control, or fertilizer. Finding and using the right sprayer can make your gardening and yard care easier and help you develop healthier, more attractive plants.
Finding the right garden sprayer can be confusing with so many different options on the market. That’s where we come. Use our handy guide to help you find the best garden sprayer to meet your individual gardening needs.
- Always clean your sprayer thoroughly after every use. Residual chemicals left in the sprayer can corrode or degrade parts.
- Store your garden sprayer and all chemicals safely away from children.
- Always use a separate sprayer for separate chemicals. Traces of herbicide are often absorbed in the garden sprayer even if you’ve cleaned it thoroughly. You should clearly label your sprayer “Herbicide Only” and use a different sprayer for fertilizer and plant food to protect your plants.
Top 10 Garden Sprayers Comparison Table
|1. Smith Performance Sprayers R200 2-Gallon Compression Sprayer for Pros Applying Weed Killers, Insecticides, and Fertilizers||2 gallons||$$||4.7|
|2. My 4 Sons 4-Gallon Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer With 0-60 PSI PRESSURE DIAL, ADJUSTABLE BRASS NOZZLE||4 gallons||$$$$||4.7|
|3. Solo 420 2-Liter One-Hand Pressure Sprayer||2 Liters||$||4.6|
|4. D.B. Smith Field King Professional 190328 No Leak Pump Backpack Sprayer||4 gallons||$$$||4.6|
|5. Chapin 61500 4-Gallon Euro Style Backpack Sprayer For Fertilizer, Herbicides and Pesticides ||4 gallons||$||4.5|
|6. Chapin 20000 Poly Lawn and Garden Sprayer For Fertilizer, Herbicides and Pesticides, 1 Gallon||1 gallon||$||4.4|
|7. Smith Contractor 190216 2-Gallon Sprayer for Weed Killers, Herbicides, and Insecticides ||2 gallons||$$||4.4|
|8. Gilmour Foamaster II Cleaning Sprayer (95QGFMR) ||1 half gallon||$$||4.4|
|9. Ironton ATV Spot Sprayer - 8 Gallon, 1 GPM, 12 Volt||8 gallons||$$||4.4|
|10. Solo 425 4-Gallon Professional Piston Backpack Sprayer ||4 gallons||$$$||4.3|
How to Choose a Garden Sprayer
There are several types of garden sprayers available on the market. Each has its own set of pros and cons. Knowing how each type works will help you pick out the best garden sprayer to use on your plants and flowers.
- Compression Sprayer. This type of garden sprayer has a tank that holds pre-mixed product. A pump is used to create pressure in the tank which forces your product through the nozzle and out onto the area of your garden you want to treat. Compression sprayers are very portable and easy to use in tight places. Another advantage is the fine mist that these sprayers generate which minimizes chemical run-off.
- Hand Pump Sprayer. Extremely easy to use, these garden sprayers are just like the hand triggered bottles that most household cleaners come in. The beauty of this type of sprayer is that they are easy to use and incredibly portable. However, if you have a large area that needs to be treated, it can be very time consuming and leave you with a cramped hand.
- Hose-End Sprayer. Applied right to the end of your garden hose, these garden sprayers mix water with your garden product as it passes through the application nozzle. Most of these sprayers adjust for different dilution rates making them incredibly versatile. They are lightweight, generally inexpensive, and use your hose’s water pressure allowing for longer distance application. However, gardening products tend to be applied in larger liquid droplets with this type of sprayer, which causes beading and run-off. In the long run, this may require that you use more product.
- Ready-To-Use Hose-End Sprayer. This type of sprayer comes attached to a container of pre-mixed product. Since you don’t have to add any garden product manually, they are quite convenient. Perfectly calibrated for the packaged product, all you do is attach it to your garden hose and you’re ready to go.
Top 3 Best Garden Sprayer Reviews
This professional-grade sprayer is built from quality components to stand up to harsh agricultural products and rugged use. This one is made to last, so you’ll be using it year after year. It comes with a durable 21-inch stainless steel application wand to extend your reach. You won’t have to stretch or bend to apply your garden product with this sprayer, and since the Smith Performance R200 Compressions Sprayer is highly efficient and requires less pumping than most other compressions sprayers, your gardening chores won’t tire you out.
Multiple interchangeable nozzles are included so it can meet all your product application needs. It comes with an adjustable brass wide flat fan, narrow flat fan, and a foaming nozzle. The pump seals and gaskets are easy to change without any tools. It is so easy to use and maintain, that you’ll wonder how you ever managed your garden without it.
With a comfortable shoulder harness and long-life lithium batteries, this garden sprayer works well on big jobs without making you feel like you’ve run a marathon. Powered by easy-to-change batteries, you won’t tire yourself out pumping up pressure before you even start to apply your garden product. It even features a locking trigger so you won’t have to worry about finger fatigue.
The My Four Sons Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer comes with a variety of sprayer attachments and a strong enough pump to spray a good distance. If you are sick of pumping up your garden sprayer, then you’ll love how simple and effortless this one makes your gardening chores.
The best feature on this garden sprayer is the adjustable telescoping wand. It extends from 12 to 23 inches to get in those hard-to-reach places. It also makes for easy ground-level product application that won’t strain your back since you won’t have to crouch or bend. It also has a multi-directional nozzle so you can spray from any position.
You’ll also be impressed by the quality construction and high-density, UV resistant polyethylene tank. It’s chemical-resistant, but also rugged. Intended for rough outdoor chores, this sprayer is anything but delicate.
There are a lot of little details in this sprayer that are going to make your life easier. And the only thing you’ll love more than the Solo Pressure Sprayer is the price.