Bermuda grass is common among many homeowners. It is inexpensive to purchase and easy to establish. This grass provides beautiful lawns that are also durable and drought-resistant. Often dubbed “The South’s Grass” it is perfect for warm climates, but there are varieties that can withstand a bit of cool weather.
With so many brands on the market, it may prove difficult to decide on the best Bermuda grass seed. You will find what you need to know here. This guide will provide you with comparisons of top brands along with a detailed buying guide and reviews. All you’ll need to do is buy and plant!
We are a professional reader-supported review site. You get our best product recommendations and we can receive small commissions from our affiliates at no cost to you. Win-Win!!
Top Selling Bermuda Grass Seeds
*Price from: 2022-11-27 at 11:51 EST
Shopping Tips & Things to Consider
While Bermuda grass is the easiest to establish, there are facts you should know before planting:
- It has a medium/dense or fine texture, depending on the variety.
- When temperatures fall, Bermuda grass becomes dormant and turn brown.
- Bermuda grass has a fast growth rate.
- A durable grass that can withstand traffic/wear and tear.
- It is drought tolerant.
- Bermuda grass requires full sun and does not respond well in shaded areas.
- It is best suited for warm climates and mild winters.
- With proper fertilization, Bermuda grass will grow in any soil.
- It is best to grow this type of grass in well-drained soil, but it is tolerant of wet soils.
Once you have planted the seeds, there is maintenance to consider. Keep in mind the following:
- Mowing. Due to its fast growth, Bermuda grass should frequently be mowed at heights of between ¾ to 1½ inches.
- Watering. The grass will need between 1 to 1 ¼ inches of water per week.
- Fertilizer. Remember to fertilize your soil every 4 – 6 weeks for best results.
- Aerate. This is one of the best ways to keep your lawn healthy; aerator machines are inexpensive to rent and simple to use (check local equipment rental stores); can also be done with aerator shoes; should be done at least once a year.
Top 3 Best Bermuda Grass Seed Reviews
This is a premium variety of Bermuda grass that might be found on golf courses near you. You will need 2 to 3 pounds of this seed for every 1000 square feet of lawn. An ideal location will have full sun and well-drained soil.
- Establishment Time: Under ideal conditions, full coverage may be attained between 4 to 6 weeks. If planting the putting green seed occurs early or late in the season, more time may be needed for establishment.
- Days to Germinate: After planting bermuda seed, with ideal conditions, germination may begin within 7 days. Allow 10 to 14 days for completion for bermudagrass seed.
- Where to Plant: In full sun on well drained soil. Proper drainage is essential for successful establishment and the development of a mature, healthy putting green.
- Time to Plant: Plant Bermuda Grass seed when soil temperatures are consistently above 65° F
- Bermuda Grass Seeding Rate: 2 - 3 pounds of coated seed per 1000 square feet of certified seed, hulled, coated form
*Price from: 2022-11-27 at 12:19 EST
It is an aggressive variety that will spread quickly and crowd out most weeds while filling in bare spots. Although listed to germinate in 10-14 days, I think that you will only get this under ideal conditions. Be prepared to wait even longer. It should be noted that depending on the area in which you live and your lawn size/conditions, it could take up to a year to see full coverage of grass.
These seeds grow to a beautiful green shade. Frequent mowing will be necessary once established. It is recommended you follow the planting directions for the best results. Given the amount of coverage you get with this one bag, it’s reasonably priced, worth the money, and one of the best Bermuda grass seed options available. ✔️ Let's get it NOW!
Pennington was founded in 1945 and has become one of the leading manufacturers of grass seeds and lawn products. If you’re looking for a quality Bermuda grass seed, this is an excellent option. This 5-pound bag will cover up to 5,000 square feet.
- Excellent for a warm season sunny lawn
- Wear tolerant
- Very fine turf type texture
- Drought resistant
- Durable turf
*Price from: 2022-11-27 at 12:19 EST
Advantages to this planting this seed include its ease of planting on any ground and soil, great first year results and no tilling or special prep required. This variety of Bermuda grass is best suited for warm/hot climates and will not do well in cool/cold climates.
This product has what Pennington calls Penkoted® seeds which enhance the growth rate and provides a stronger root system. It is affordable, and you can expect quick results although complete coverage could take several months depending on the size and condition of your lawn. ✔️ I'm sold!
3. Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed – Sun and Shade Mix
No products found.
With this product, you have options (the price will, of course, vary depending on the size):
- 3 lbs. = up to 1,200 square feet
- 7 lbs. = up to 2,800 square feet
- 20 lbs. = up to 8,000 square feet
- 40 lbs. = up to 16,000 square feet
These seeds have a feature that Scotts calls WaterSmart PLUS. It is a special coating that enhances water absorption, aids in the feeding of nutrients and provides protection from diseases. These seeds have a rapid growth rate and work well filling in bare spots. The only real drawback from this grass seed is you may find it’s not as dense and thick as other varieties.
The price of each size bag is comparable to other brands, but it should be noted this grass is generally for Northern climates and is not sold in Louisiana. You can expect growth within 5 – 10 days but the grass will take a few months to establish fully. No products found.